Friday, August 19, 2016

Day 3: Bangkok to Damnoen Saduak

We left Bangkok past 7am .Headed to western Thailand - the Damnoen Saduak in Ratchaburi province. It was about two hours away from Bangkok. The weather was extremely hot and the AC wasn't working, imagine 15 people in a van sweating. 

We reached a pier where they served us coffee and a tiny slice of watermelon, I guess this is the part of the tour package where they mentioned fresh fruit will be served. We had our bathroom break instead while we were waiting for our motorboat. The motorboat took us into the floating market. So we got to get a glimpse and breathe the Thais life along the river. Since we chose to sit in front of the boat, water was splashing from the sides every time the boat picked up some speed. It was a fun ride. 

We arrived at the  legendary floating market, where it seems there were more tourists on a boat than vendors on a boat selling local fruits, foods and products. Everything was pricey so we just bought mangoosten. I believe TR and me were the only ones who bought something while on the boat. 

Our boat took us around before they let us explore the floating market on foot for 45 minutes. We didnt manage to get any because they weren't that cheap. We only had our lunch at a mini restaurant there where we were told the young coconut water costs 50 bahts (it was 40 bahts) but charged us 60 bahts after having it. Nice business!

We left this Little Venice of Asia to visit elephants camp called Chang Puak. Bought ticket to a 30-minute elephant ride around the man-made jungle and canal.
TR and me
Our mahout asked us to pay him 100 bahts if we want him to take our photo (that explains a lot why he hid his face with a hat on photos) so we said no and asked the facilitator instead. 

While riding off, he (the same mahout) asked us to give tip for the elephant (we gave 20 bahts, BTW). The ride left me feeling guilty.. Wish I had fed the elephant instead.

We returned to Bangkok and roamed around the street next to Khao San road before going back to hotel. I managed to buy at least one Thai harem pants. Since we had already checked out in the morning as the hotel did not let us have a late checkout, we only freshened up at the hotel lobby's toilet before leaving to airport. I seriously never felt so unclean and smelly in my life till that day.. LOL

◄  Last Night in Bangkok